Nintendo’s chief executive has died of cancer at the age of 55, it said Monday, in an upheaval for the Japanese videogame giant just months after abandoning a consoles-only policy and launching a push into the booming smartphone games market.
The Kyoto-based firm said Satoru Iwata passed away on Saturday, with analysts warning that his sudden death could dent a turnaround plan at the maker of the iconic Super Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokemon franchises.
A leading figure in the videogame industry, Iwata oversaw the success of Nintendo’s Wii games console and a surge in revenue before smartphone games started eating away at its success, forcing the strategy re-think.
A visibly thinner Iwata announced last year that he was sick and did not attend the firm’s shareholder meeting in June 2014, although the severity of his illness was unclear at the time.
He returned to work over the following months, and continued to be the public face of the company, announcing financial results in May.
“Recently, as the result of… detailed examination, a growth was found in my bile duct,” he said in a statement at the time.
“In my case, luckily, it was detected very early and I had no symptoms. I was counselled that removal at an early stage would be the desirable medical option. Therefore I had surgery last week, and I came through it well, as predicted.”
Bile duct cancer is a relatively rare, but aggressive illness that usually affects people over the age of 65.
Iwata started off as a games developer before taking over the top post at Nintendo in 2002.